Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Primers High End VS Drugstore

Hey Everyone!

In my blog today I will be speaking about a high end primer and a drugstore primer and how they match up to each other. The two primers are going to be; the Maybelline Baby Skin primer (drugstore) and the Smashbox Photo Finish (high end). A big difference between the two is the price range, the baby skin is £7.99 in boots and you get 22ml. However for 12ml of the photo finish (which is a travel size) its £12.50, you can purchase the larger bottle which has 30ml for £25.50. As you can already see there is a large difference, but is the smashbox worth the money?

Firstly I will speak about the Maybelline Baby Skin and this primer is supposed to erase your pores, give you smooth skin and should feel lightweight when on the skin. I agree with all of these I have to say when I put it on it did minimize the look of my pores, my skin felt smooth and it didn't feel like I was wearing a primer. With all this said it still has a thick consistency so I would only use a small amount when applying to the skin. It also feels very greasy at first until it sinks into the skin but it does not happen right away, you have to give it time to set before applying any make up on top. Once I applied my make up I still didn't feel satisfied with the way my make up looked I have problematic skin and this didn't help those areas. I have combination skin and this product didn't seem like it sunk into my skin well enough.

   
Now lets talk about the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer which is supposed to create a perfect under layer for make up, it helps relieve fine lines and pores, be lightweight and give a silky finish. I agree with the majority of the above it is very lightweight there is a big difference in this primer and the baby skin when it comes to thickness, this primer is a thinner consistency. It does give you a silky finish and reduces pores. However I do have to argue the point that it doesn't really cover fine lines for example I still see my smile lines by my eyes with this primer and I would class them as fine lines. Other than that it is a very nice primer. This like the above feels greasy until set into the skin but this product doesn't take as long as the baby skin. 

I think the baby skin is a dupe for the photo finish as there is little difference between them, other than the setting time and the consistency they are the same product. If you are on a budget I would go for the Baby Skin primer over the Smashbox. If you have oily skin I don't think the Baby skin would suit your skin type personally so in that case I would opt for the Smashbox even if its a little more expensive.
(Swatches of both primers)

Have you tried any of these primers?

Dee xx

No comments:

Post a Comment